A prison that was originally a complex of custodial building that included a poorhouse and hospital. Built in 1853 the building had a castle like structure to it, it included spread-out cell blocks in the rear of the building that housed inmates. In 1906 the original castle like building was torn down and replaced with the 30,000 square foot fortress building. The brand new prison was designed by a man named B.F. Willis: the prison was equipped with multiple jail cells and even a trap door where hangings would occur from the death penalty. In the 1950’s the prison had a pretty negative reputation, reports stated that inmates were being placed in padded rooms to save space, racial segregation occurred only at night, bed bugs and even a report that deer roadkill was being brought back to be fed to the inmates.In 1979 the prison was closed down due to the newer facility that was constructed for the inmates.