This asylum was opened in 1888 as the Asylum and Training School for the Feeble-minded ran by the state of Maryland. From the year 1888 to the year of 1912 the institution was only known as the State Training School; however in 1961 the institution was renamed to the State Hospital. In 1888, Maryland legislature had approved an act to establish an Asylum and Training School for the Feeble Minded of the State of Maryland. Only ten thousand dollars were approved for the land and buildings, the asylum had no charge for children aged between 7 and 17, children who did not meet the age range costed $250.00 to admit into the institution. In the year of 1899 only white children between ages 7 and 17 were admitted into the hospital.The boys learned farming, gardening and carpentry, the girls learned things like sewing, washing,milking and even horticulture.It was believed that the children would have those skills to self-support themselves upon separation from the institution.The children would be discharged at the age of 17 years old, operations continued the same until the year of 1960, while the institutions newer buildings were being constructed.In 1968 the institution had approximately 2,700 patients and the number would begin to climb over the next years. Around the time of World War II the way they cared for patients had made a drastic change since it was first established.The institution had begun to expand by creating more buildings and space; in 1943 physically handicapped patients were admitted.In the year of 1950 age restrictions were removed from admissions, just like most asylums this one began having issues with overcrowding at the institution starting in the 1940’s.In the year of 1956 the institution became integrated and patients were transferred from “Maryland’s asylum for the negro insane” to this institution.When the late 1960’s had arrived the population of the facility had taken a steep decline. Many reports of deinstitutionalization of patients were becoming more of a common issue. Between the years of 1950 and 1970 the institution had multiple reports of malpractice, abuse and neglect. In 1981 the U.S. Justice department declared that the patients at the institution failed to receive minimal adequate care. On June 30th, 2009 the State of Maryland Department of Health and Mental Hygiene closed the institution for good.