This was a state hospital established on April 11th 1910 as the Negro Insane of Maryland. The institution sat on 676 acres of land and consisted a total of 36 buildings. The first patients to arrive at the institution were a group of 12 that arrived on March 13th, 1911, patients lived in a work camp.They worked to prepare roads, harvest tobacco and willow crops. More patients arrived in that following July and September.Patients helped with the construction of the hospital while more buildings were being constructed. The male patients were assigned manual work as for the females they were given task such as knitting and mend clothing for staff and patients. Smallpox and the scarlet fever became a huge issue with the patients between the years of 1914 and 1915. The water quality and tuberculosis also became a huge issue. The percentage of deaths caused by tuberculosis was 29.85% out of 286 patients. In 1939 the commissioner of Mental Hygiene announced the opening at another hospital here in Maryland, the had a separate building for mental patients that had tuberculosis.In the year of 1920 there were only two physicians, superintendent, one social worker and eighteen staff member’s out of a total of 521 patients. Patients ranged from 14 years old to 46 years old.Patients were given hydrotherapy and sedatives, in 1948 the patients attendance climbed to 1,800.In 1944 there were reports of unsanitary living conditions; reports explain how children were lying around naked in a filthy ward. More than 1,800 men and woman were crammed into the buildings that had a maximum capacity of 1,100, the institution became a place to shove feeble-minded negro children and epileptics. Reports show that the children’s building was the most crowded. In 1929, 55 patients were discharged from the institution, in 1948 the institution became integrated.The first African-American, Vernon Sparks was hired to work in the psychology department. In 1954 patients were transferred “The Asylum and Training School for the white Feeble-Minded”. In 1964 the first African American superintendent, Dr. George McKenzie Phillips was hired. By the year of 2000 the patients attending began to decline, that year alone 200 patents were discharged. On July, 2004 the final patients that needed further psychiatric hospitalization were transferred to two different facilities.